The creamy texture and unique taste of bananas combined with the nutty flavour of walnuts and the sweet, woody aroma of cinnamon brings this loaf together perfectly in both taste and texture.
Bananas are a favourite amongst all ages for their versatility and nutritious health benefits. They are a good source of potassium which helps maintain normal blood pressure and heart function. They are also a good source of dietary fibre for digestive health. The addition of walnuts provide extra nutrition and are delicious, giving it extra flavour and crunch. Walnuts are also an excellent source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 essential fatty acids.
This banana loaf is very quick and easy to prepare and is super moist, it just melts in your mouth. I recommend that you try this – at least once!
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 200g (2 cups) walnut ground
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to C 160oC.
- Lightly spray and line a 9” loaf tin.
- Ground whole walnuts in a food processor (or you can buy them) and put into a separate bowl.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and then whisk the whites until you have white peaks (this is to give some rise to the loaf).
- Combine egg yolks, egg whites, the mashed bananas, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and lemon juice in the food processor and mix well.
- Add the walnut ground and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf tin and place in the oven for an hour. (As ovens vary, you may wish to check at around 45 minutes, an inserted skewer or knife should come out dry).
Serving suggestion: Spread with Walnut Butter (see recipe here)
Tip: Keep in mind that whilst this banana loaf offers numerous health benefits, nuts are high in fat and should be eaten in moderation.
Nutritional value per serve: Per serve : 175 cals / 5g protein / 13.2g fat (1.4g sat fat) / 13.1g carbs (7.1g sugars) / 2.1g fibre / 22.5mg sodium