Slow cookers are ideal for a busy family. This minestrone recipe is a family favourite where the ingredients can be prepared the night before ready to be added to the slower cooker in the morning and then left to cook. You can go to work or attend other activities and dinner will be ready when you get home.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 celery stalk, halved lengthways, sliced
- 800g tin crushed tomato
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 100g macaroni pasta
- 100g green beans, cut into 2cm pieces
- 100g English spinach leaves, shredded
- 1 small handful of basil, torn
- 1 small handful parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese to serve
In the morning simply
- Put the onion, garlic, carrot, potato, celery, crushed tomato, stock and 750ml water in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
When you get home
- Put the pasta in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 5-10 minutes. Drain.
- Add the drained pasta, green beans and spinach to the slow cooker. Cook uncovered for a further 30 minutes, or until the pasta is right and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir through the basil and parsley and season to taste with salt and ground pepper.
- Put into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.